Thursday, November 7, 2013

 
 



Tonight, I thanked God for hot water.  Seriously, I THANKED God for hot water.  Not just because I have been having a cold shower all week and somehow-miraculously- when I needed it the most, the water was hot, but simply because I had access to a hot shower.  Believe me, you really want a hot water when you have been to ``hell on earth``.

Today, Pastor Julio joined us for breakfast and devotions.  He shared his experiences of praying for the healing of others and the miraculous answers to prayer that God provided especially when medical attention was not affordable or available.  We were greatly encouraged and excited about the day`s plans.

We were still excited when we went to the grocery store to buy a few items for the prisoners at the jail.  Cookies, bananas and pop were purchased for 150 prisoners.  We also purchased a few supplies for the ten women incarcerated--hygiene kits, sanitary napkins, underwear and camisoles.  As a group of women, we felt a special kinship and compassion for the women in jail. 

I can`t say that we weren`t warned.  Annette told us about the conditions.  Due to prison overcrowding, these prisoners were serving their time in a jail at the Police Station in cells that were intended to house temporary prisoners.  Thus, cells built for 6 men were being occupied by 15 men.  Many were serving sentences of several years.  We brought food because the jail budget is severely limited so the prisoners are fed once a day, usually rice and beans. Their only personal items are those supplied by family members.  If there is no family, or if one is disowned by family, there are no extras--no clean clothing, no hygiene supplies, etc.

We started with prayer in a small waiting room at the jail.  The Police Commissioner gave permission for 14 sick men to come out of their cells for prayer.  Lynda introduced herself to each man and asked his name.  She read ``The Father`s Love Letter``.  There were a few tears.  We prayed for each man in groups of two or three.  The needs were great.  We prayed for everything from hearing loss, poor vision and a lame leg.  Especially memorable for me was Jorge.  He was a new Christian-two weeks to be exact.  As we prayed for him, I felt God`s joy for this lost soul who had been found.  At one point, I looked into the eyes of a man sitting near me and I saw the eyes of Jesus--the loving eyes of Jesus. ``Whatever you do for the least of these, you do for me.`` 

When we finished praying with the men, all ten of the women were brought in.  We shared some Scripture, told them of God`s love for them and prayed.  Again, there were tears.  I was especially touched by Mildred who asked for prayer because she found a lump in her breast and was experiencing pain.  She cannot get medical attention until her sentence is finished 16 months from now.  This was just like Pastor Julio`s experiences--medical assistance simply was not available.  So, we prayed. We prayed for the lump to disappear; we prayed for her immune system to fight anything that did not belong; and we prayed for her sentence to be reduced.  Mildred has only been a Christian for 3 months but she has great faith in God`s healing power.  And so do we.  It was with great joy that we gave the women the supplies we brought for them. 

Then it was time to go inside the jail and distribute the food.  That is when we entered `hell on earth`.  The smell was the first thing I noticed.  The floor was wet and there was feces on the walls.  It was very hot (44C+ with the humidity).  Each of the nine cells housed 15 men in a space intended for 6 men.  It was standing room only.   It was worse than standing room only because some of the men were straddling the bars in an effort to claim some space.  I was told that each cell had a toilet in the corner but I could not see because of the crowding.  In fact, all I could really see were arms reaching out through the bars and bare chests and eyes staring. Most of the men were young, some reminded me of my son who is eighteen years old.  As a mother, I know how easy it is for a teenager to make a poor decision--to make a mistake.  Since all of us are parents, I think we all felt the sorrow of seeing a young life spent in appalling conditions.  There was no space, no dignity, no humanity, no rehabilitation.  I am told that they rarely get out of their cells for physical exercise.  We treat our livestock better than this.

As per instructions, the pop was poured into small bags similar to sandwich bags and we tied each top in a knot.  Upon receiving the pop, the men would bite off a corner of the bag and suck out the liquid.  The cookies and bananas disappeared in minutes.  The men were loud but did not sound lewd.  Many smiled.  One blew me a kiss.  We stayed out of arms reach.  The food was passed through the bars to a ``cell boss`` who passed it out in the cell. 

It did not take long to find the women.  Their cell was in the same room as the men.  In addition to the lack of space, they had absolutely no privacy from the men.  They were separated by bars but they were still situated in a room with 140 men.  I felt physically ill. 

It takes a long time to process an experience like today; to process such suffering.   When we arrived back at Jardin Shalom, I had a long hot shower.  I washed my shoes.  I washed away the urine, feces, vomit and whatever else I had walked in at the prison.  I could not wash away the knowledge of the suffering--that will remain with me. 

With Christ,
Sandie

2 comments:

  1. I don't think anything could prepare you for an experience like you had today. God bless you all and thank God for your perseverance and willingness to serve. JC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for your writing. We are blessed to be keeping a close eye on this blog and to feel a connection with all that the entire team is doing for God in Nicaragua. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete